All persons desiring to undertake any development, new construction, structural alteration, or change in use of a building, structure, or land shall apply for a zoning permit.
Any questions regarding any aspect of the Zoning Ordinance may be directed to the Township Zoning Officer, Robin R. Royer at LTL Consultants, Ltd. at 888-987-8886(toll free).
Ms. Royer is generally available during normal office hours, Monday through Thursday, 8:00a.m. – 4:00p.m., closed Fridays. An answering machine is available for the number 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for those wishing to leave messages during off hours. Leave name and number, the best time to be reached, and the address about which you are requesting information.
You may call the Township Office at 717-933-8813 during normal office hours, Monday through Thursday, 8:00a.m. – 4:00p.m, closed on Friday, to pick up applications or for obtaining copies of the Zoning Ordinance ONLY. Completed applications must be signed and may be physically returned, mailed or faxed:
60 Klahr Rd., Bethel, PA 19507, fax 717-933-4642.
The application will be reviewed and the Applicant will be contacted if any additional information is required. The Zoning Ordinance requires that this be done within 90 days of receipt of a completed application, although Permits are usually reviewed and issued promptly. Permits may be picked up at the Township Office, at which time you will be expected to pay the required fee by check made payable to the Bethel Township.
IMPORTANT – Earthmoving activity, in accordance with Pennsylvania laws, requires an Erosion & Sedimentation Control Plan. Owner/Applicant is responsible for contacting the Berks County Conservation District (610-372-4657) to obtain any and all necessary approvals prior to any earthmoving activity. Pennsylvania law requires that when a Sewage Permit is required, it must be obtained prior to the issuance of a Zoning Permit. Also, it is the Owner/Applicant’s responsibility to comply with all Worker’s Compensation laws and requirements.
*Except as listed below.
When a Zoning Permit is Required:
1. Prior to the erection, construction, addition, or alteration of any building or structure or portion thereof.
2. Prior to the use or change in use of a building, structure or land.
3. Prior to the erection or alteration of signs.
4. Prior to the change or extension of a nonconforming use.
5. Prior to razing of structures.
It shall be unlawful for any person to commence work for the erection or alteration of any building or structure, or for a change in land use, until a Zoning Permit has been duly issued therefore. In some instances, additional permits may also need to be obtained prior to beginning construction or alterations.
When a Zoning Permit is not Required:
1. Interior alterations when there is no increase in ground floor exterior dimension and no change in use.
2. General maintenance and repair to existing buildings or structures; including siding, roofing, painting, the addition or replacement of storm windows, and similar activities.
3. Crop farming
5. Construction or erection of fences, unenclosed or uncovered patios, terraces, steps or other similar features.
6. Placement or location of private utility lines as long as they do not cross or occupy public roads or rights-of-ways.
|Bethel Building Application|
|Bethel Zoning Permit Application|
|Commercial Building Permit Application|
|Driveway Permit Application|
|Junkyard Permit Application|
|Residential Building Permit Application|
|Revised Sub-Division Application 2006|
|Sign Building Permit Application|
|Sign Zoning Permit Application|
|Sub-Division Land Development Application|
|Uniform Construction Code Appeals Application|
For building permit applications and information refer to: Commonwealth Code Inspection Services, Inc., www.codeservices.net.
Commonwealth Code Inspection Service fee schedule for Bethel Twp, Berks County – click here
Applications for building permits may also be picked up at the Bethel Township Office. Completed applications should be dropped off at the Township office.