Building and Codes

IMPORTANT – Earthmoving activity, in accordance with Pennsylvania laws, requires an Erosion & Sedimentation Control Plan.  Owner/Applicant is responsible for contacting the Berks County Conservation District (610-372-4657) to obtain any and all necessary approvals prior to any earthmoving activity.  Pennsylvania law requires that when a Sewage Permit is required, it must be obtained prior to the issuance of a Zoning Permit.  Also, it is the Owner/Applicant responsibility to comply with all Worker’s Compensation laws and requirements.

When a Zoning Permit is Required:

  1. Prior to the erection, construction, addition, or alteration of any building or structure or portion thereof.
  2. Prior to the use or change in use of a building, structure or land.
  3. Prior to the erection or alteration of signs.
  4. Prior to the change or extension of a nonconforming use.
  5. Prior to razing of structures.

*Except as listed below.

It shall be unlawful for any person to commence work for the erection or alteration of any building or structure, or for a change in land use, until a Zoning Permit has been duly issued therefore. In some instances, additional permits may also need to be obtained prior to beginning construction or alterations.

When a Zoning Permit is not Required:

  1. Interior alterations when there is no increase in ground floor exterior dimension and no change in use.
  2. General maintenance and repair to existing buildings or structures; including siding, roofing, painting, the addition or replacement of storm windows, and similar activities.
  3. Crop farming
  4. Landscaping
  5. Construction or erection of fences, unenclosed or uncovered patios, terraces, steps or other similar features.
  6. Placement or location of private utility lines as long as they do not cross or occupy public roads or rights-of-ways.
Application for Appeal Hearing of Uniform Construction Code
Asbestos Abatement Demolition Renovation Notification Form
Bethel Solicitation Permit
Facilities Application
Hold Harmless Agreement
Township Park Field Usage
Usage Permit Agreement

Contact Us

Bethel Township 60 Klahr Road
Bethel, PA 19507